Took two trips to Germany to convert me to a beer drinker (not that I’ve given up wine, mind you). So, when I found this recipe for Boston Lager 25th Anniversary Cupcakes, I was intrigued. Imagine infusing a chocolate dessert with the malty taste and spice of a brew.
I accepted the baking challenge and good thing, because…this recipe needed help. The batter was too thin, but full of lovely bubbles from the hops. The result surprised me; the cakes were feathery light. Still, I suggest adding an extra 1/4 cup of flour. I also chose to make larger cupcakes, thereby needing to increase the baking time. No improvements needed, however, on the marvelously earthy aroma whiffing out of the oven.
The cupcakes tasted yummy enough to eat without frosting, except their tops looked like they suffered a bad case of chicken pox. Ice them with buttercream; the black and white combination makes an attractive pair.
I’m going to prepare this recipe again and when I do, I will post updates. In the meantime, surprise your guests with a beer-infused dessert. I’ll drink to that and add a toast to Sam Adams on their 25th anniversary.
I’m joining and adding this post to WanderFood Wednesday , a blog site for food lovers to share photos, stories, recipes, book reviews and any other food-related topics with other foodies (and non-foodies!). Please check it out!
And also No-Whine-Wednesday.
Sam Adams Boston Lager 25th Anniversary Cupcakes
Created by Samuel Adams Chef Partner David Burke with additional suggestions from Debi Lander
Yield: or 2 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour- I suggest 1 cup
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup Samuel Adams Boston Lager
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line muffin tin with muffin liners.
- Pour approximately 3-4 ounces batter into each cup.
- Bake in oven at 325 degrees for approximately 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Boston Lager Buttercream Frosting
Recipe makes enough to frost 2 dozen. If you make larger-sized cupcakes, cut the frosting recipe in half.
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream – I believe you can omit this
- 2 tablespoons Samuel Adams Boston Lager
- In a standing mixer, mix together sugar and butter.
- Mix on low speed until well blended, then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract, Boston Lager and whipping cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more beer or cream if needed.